Snakes, like crocodiles and lizards, are legless reptiles. Their bodies are covered in scales, and they can swallow animals much larger than their heads.
The majority of snakes are fearful creatures who avoid human contact. They will only attack if they are cornered or provoked; most of the time, they will attack to defend themselves.
However, snakes have been reported in building compounds, and if you come across one, it is strongly advised that you contact the Fire or Wildlife Department for assistance.
Problems due to Snake infestation:
Types of Venomous Snake Bites
Do's and Don'ts of Treating Snake Bite
• Loosen the victim’s clothing and move them in to the shade.
• Keep the victim calm and still; movement will increase blood flow and transport the venom to the heart much faster.
• Immobilise the limb but do NOT restrict blood flow unless you are certain the bite is from a snake that delivers neurotoxic venom.
• Clean and dress the wound being careful not to apply pressure and cause bruising.
• Be prepared to administer CPR if necessary.
• Get the victim to a hospital as soon as possible.
• Allow the victim to exercise or stress themselves.
• Cut the bite or attempt to suck the venom out.
• Give the victim anything to eat or drink especially alcohol.
• Use potassium permanganate crystals or solution near or on the bite wound.
• Use soapy water round the bite wound.
• Leave pressure bandages on too long.
• Leave the victim alone.
• Apply ice to the wound.
Signs of Snake infestation:
While spotting snakes is the most obvious way to determine if you have a snake problem, finding evidence of snakes isn’t always easy, especially in winter, when the creature may nest inside your walls to protect itself from the cold. Snakes, unlike mice and rats, do not leave a trail of destruction. Once inside your home, they frequently remain hidden for months. However, there are some warning signs you can look for in your home:
Some proven methods to avoid Snakes form entering your property
Although there are several methods that can help us to keep snakes off your property, we will mention a few of them which are highly effective.